Le Dieu Pinard – sculpted from chalk by Max Blondatand now in the Musées des Années 30 in Boulogne
At the beginning of the First World War the daily allowance of wine per man was a quarter of a litre a day, by 1915 it was half a litre and by 1916, almost three quarters of a litre with the opportunity to buy more. The army was supplying its troops with 12 million hectolitres a year by 1916 - French vineyard owners from the Languedoc donated 20m litres for army use and France’s North African colonies provided a great deal of wine by the end.
This act of generosity on the part of the Languedoc was not without a less benevolent edge however. Just before the war the Languedoc-Roussillon was facing an