Friday, 14 September 2012

Beat the post-holiday blues


By Sarah Turner, Averys

This time last week I was sat in a beachside café in Mallorca enjoying the sunshine, a plateful of sardines and a healthy glass of rosado.

Back home in England I’m sat with my laptop, a strong black coffee and wondering whether I can cobble a sandwich together from the remnants in my fridge. The kids are back to school, the washing’s backed up & I have a ‘to do’ list as long as my arm, (which is why I’m writing this blog instead!).  It’s official. I’m suffering from post-holiday blues.

But all is not lost. Amazingly enough we arrived home to one of the sunniest weekends of the summer. And instead of just dreaming of those sunny evenings on the terrace, I was able to recreate them in my own back garden. All I needed was a glass of chilled, crisp, dry sherry and a bowl of almonds.

 For me, no wine is more quintessentially Spanish than sherry and with a glass of La Gitana Manzanilla in hand the post-holiday blues seemed to drift away. Its sea breeze freshness and salty tang remind of that just-got-back-from-the-beach feeling and it really whets your appetite for another glass!  

There are lots of wines where the merest whiff can remind you of holidays in the sun.

Prosecco makes me feel like I’m on holiday whenever I pop open a bottle. In Italy, Prosecco is a wine for any occasion – not just special celebrations. Follow their lead and enjoy a glass of Corte del Calli Prosecco for the perfect post-holiday pick-me-up.

Rosé is another top holiday tipple and apparently the French now drink more rosé than white. Enjoy a glass of Château de Beaulieu Provence Rosé, a pretty pink rosé from one of our favourite holiday hotspots, and imagine you’re sat in a French café overlooking the Mediterranean.

And as for everyone who enjoyed the ‘glorious’ British summer and team GB Olympic success, you can keep on celebrating all things British with a glass of Nyetimber Classic Cuvée. This elegant English fizz rivals the best of Champagne and comes from vineyards in West Sussex, less than a mile from my house.

Maybe it’s not so bad to be back in England after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment