Thursday, 28 July 2011

Averys History Project – In the beginning…

Mimi Avery
In June I was tasked with researching the history of Averys.

I am Mimi Avery 5th Generation Avery in Averys, my father, Francis John still works in the firm and my grandfather Ronald, who really put us on the map, passed away in 1976. The business is listed as established 1793.

I was aware that projects of this sort had been done in the past so my first task was to locate these. This is easier said than done, if any of you are aware of my fathers filing system (folders of paperwork, unlabelled, in document boxes labelled “taken from top left drawer of desk) no note as to which office move this related to – most helpful. Luckily my ‘man’ on the ground was my mother, Sarah, at the family home, she manages to rescue important pieces and squirrels them away in the morning room cupboards. So it was with relative ease that she handed me my Grandmother’s bound selection of newspaper, magazine articles and eulogies post Ronald’s Funeral, along with Hilary Clout’s “A short History of Averys & Co Bristol” June 1979, K.C.Bourke’s “Wine Merchant out of Bristol”, circa 1969/70 and My fathers Oxford university summer dissertation “The problems of production, marketing and packaging of wines in the United States of America” oct. 1964.

I plan to continue the hunt and regularly blog and tweet the more interesting findings over the next few months to give you more of a feel of what we do, why we do it and how we do it so well.

1 comment:

  1. HI
    appros not a lot..a little footnote..I became bar manager at the Maritania Bristol about 1958 ish.
    I had left a career as a chemist at the National Smelting co, much to chagrin of my parents, because as Lower deck manager I mixed with Lord Alexander, (a crook) and Peter O'Tool, rising actor at old vic.and had access to wine, after hours (licencing laws were enormousley strict then)made me in demand.
    I rem your Grandfather, quite liking the company of this rif-raff at occasional drink inns (even then Toole was mesmeric) as long as they were not on the house.
    I rem accompaning him to the Customs House to dispose of certain spirits held before duty (there were many barrels and bottles)where for three days he tasted and rejected vast quantities of brandy and wines, because although old would not pay for the duty payed to release.
    I was appalled as we poured down the grating Napolian brandy (lovely thick...)and remember him saying "just because it's old does not make it good,young Brian, you must have a judgement of your own worth". A dictum I treated as a mantra.When I left to go to London, he wrote me a stunning reference.

    Oscar (Brian)

    ReplyDelete